Some more work. Trying to add more detail. This time I made a little rule of trying to have a reference photo for everything of interest. Now I realize that sounds obvious, but part of this process is trying to get a handle on what needs to be done to get an interesting image, and its pretty obvious I don’t know everything.
This one was particularly silly. I experimented with using really oddball references. This time, pictures of Sydney Greenstreet from the Maltese Falcon and SEM pictures of microscopic underwater funnel creatures. Quite a combination! The cleanup using Gimp is sometimes an adventure, but I have to remember to erase the red lines when I draw over them to help the contrast.
I was supposed to be going for the description below, but I got distracted.
Jane: Female Halfling Entertainer, Neutral. Jane has silver hair and sharp amber eyes, and a beaked nose. She wears tailored clothing and several pouches hang from her belt.
The idea of this one was to see if I could add enough ‘stuff’ to get a ‘good’ drawing, and I think I got there. This one isn’t inked by the way, I just manipulated the scan and cleaned up the red lines in GIMP. I might be going this way for a while because it is very fast, and I’d like to turn these over as I’m trying to focus on the pipeline process. NB: still having problems with proportions, I had to fix one hand and resize the other arm. Need to focus on that more.
First homework assignment completed. I really had to fix some proportions, and I think the arms are still off. The hands were a bear so I have been drawing lots of those.
This also involved a lot of reference for the leg things and the armor. You’d be surprised what searching for ‘leather armor’ turns up on pinterest.
A note: This was done with the smooth ink pen, and individual lines were often done on separate layers beneath other lines and then excess erased with ease since the final location of the erasure was obscured by the lines above.
On to the next one!
So my ctrlpaint.com homework is using the Don Jon random character generator. This is what I got
Jane Smarte: Female Elf Druid, Neutral. Jane has an angular face, with blonde hair and hazel eyes. She wears leather armor and wields a quarterstaff. Jane suffers an acute fear of mirrors.
The homework is to try to complete and illustration, then trying doing these some more. So first step is gathering reference.
I’ll be posting more on this later. Just a note that I love pinterest. For this assignment, I tried search for leather armor, and it returned hundreds of pictures!!
I’m continuing on with my ctrlpaint.com homework, and this time its with lighting. He had a number of exercises, but I concentrated on an adaptation of one in particular. He suggested taking a photo, and then taking an arbitrary object, and drawing the object as if it occupied the environment in the photo. I adapted that exercise to do that in blender, and then to look at the lighting setups to see if it told me anything I could use in the future for my drawing.
The base color of the sphere was taken from the sand around it, sort of a brick color. The take home lesson here was that there was a single yellow light source from top back, and fill lights of blue from the sky. That latter was something mentioned in the videos, but it actually worked here. Area lights were used to “fill in” the harsh shadows and turn the blue/white + brick, which yields a kind of unsaturated blue violet. This exercise reiterated something that most people probably know anyway: in outdoor scenes, the sky acts as light blue fill light.
I’m taking some classes and studying from ctrpaint.com. He has a unit on perspective and lighting, which I thought would be best to supplement with work in Blender. That means that I need to get back to using Blender, so this weekend I did a little work:
It turned out that I remember quite a bit, so I’m off to learn more!
So on to learn something new. I tried the reed pen in these pictures, instead of my usual (the scratchboard pen). It gave some really nice lines. They are based more on angle relative to the shape of the brush, so how you attack the line makes a big difference. It was a bit hard to get a feel for it, but that will come with practice.
These were taken from photo reference, but of course don’t even vaguely look like the original subject!